Friday, October 1, 2010

We did it!

Friends and Family,


We are awaiting the fall colors here in Oregon. Autumn is my favorite time of the year. Sweaters,football, farmers market, leaves falling, and the harvest.

A few years ago I sat in pre-field orientation before I went on the mission field to Ireland. The Africa director of missions for the Assemblies of God preached a message on the harvest. Ever since then I’ve been fascinated with the harvest.

This year more than any other year, the harvest takes on a deeper meaning for me. It’s obvious the coralation between planting a church and harvesting. The closer to the launch of came the more I would think and pray, “win the lost, harvest the fields.”

On September 19th we officially launched Portico Church. It was a beautiful day. Our two goals were to honor God and to win the lost. Both were accomplished. We had seventy-six people in attendance which included about thirty from our launch team; twenty visiting pastors, and family; and about twenty-five unchurched guests. Our guests heard the Gospel and were given an opportunity to ask Christ into their hearts. It is amazing to think that some of those people heard the Gospel for the very first time. And for many of those in attendance it was the first time they had ever experienced the presence of God.

I am so grateful that we are a part of planting a church. There isn’t too many things that I’d say are a greater honor than doing what were doing. I feel like one of the most privileged people in the world.

After service we went to a local Portland restaurant to have our Launch Reception. We celebrated together the opening of a new church in an area of Portland that is largely unreached. The Oregon Ministry Network, our parent church pastors, and some Portland pastors were there to show their support and friendship. We are honored to work with such people.

I am also honored to work with you. Hopefully you believe me when I say that your support and prayer for us and Portico Church has made this process easier. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You truly have a share in the eternal purposes of this church plant.

This is the last newsletter that we will send. Some of you have already fulfilled your commitment to support us and others are finished this month. We will continue to update you on Portico Church. If you would like to have us email you our blog every month please contact me at: mark@porticochurch.info and let me know.

May God bless you and your family. May you see the riches of the reward for your faithfulness in sowing into the kingdom of God. We love you and are thankful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment